Separation Agreement in Ottawa
For couples looking for an effective way to separate without spending much time and money on legal aspects, settling things outside the court can be an easy option. Upon the breakdown of a relationship, a properly drafted separation agreement can help to clarify the rights and obligations of the parties and aid in simplifying the divorce process.
This can be achieved by retaining a lawyer, providing complete disclosure and settling all issues through a separation agreement. Julie I. Guindon is a well-experienced family lawyer whom you can trust with drafting separation agreements in Ottawa.
What Is a Separation Agreement?
A separation agreement is a legally binding contract between spouses created at
the time of separation. The agreement also specifies each party’s rights.
For instance, the contract sets out the framework for custody and access, property
issues, division of assets, pending debts between spouses and so on.
Why Opt for Separation Agreement?
The process of going through divorce is a tedious task. It involves a lengthy court procedure and can be incredibly costly. Both parties need to attend court as it is the judge who makes a final call after considering child custody, support, access or division of property.
Having a separation agreement makes things much easier during separation. It is one of the most cost-effective ways to get separated from your spouse. The parties will have to bear the additional costs if there are unexpected delays in courts.
A separation agreement drafted by lawyers will take into consideration the rights of both
spouses and their children to ensure a fair settlement.
Benefits of a separation agreement include:
- This is an amicable approach that allows couples to co-operate and work together for the agreement.
- Couples can identify and implement arrangements in their best interests.
- Once you disclose the proper information to your lawyer, they will be able to make accurate determinations and finalize the issue more quickly.
- This also emphasizes complete honesty and full disclosure among spouses, encouraging open discussion so that couples can arrive at a mutually-beneficial solution.
- Greatly reduces the emotional and mental stress compared to divorce.
Note that a separation agreement is a court order that mandates the rights and duties of a couple while they are still married but living apart. Divorce potentially ends the marriage.
Contact our Team at Julie I Guindon for Assistance with Separation Agreement in Ottawa
For separation agreements in Ottawa, reach out to us today. Call at 613-234-5252 for more details. Julie I. Guindon also offers mediation services.